Announcements from the Counseling Office:
SCIENCE HILL HIGH SCHOOL
ACCUPLACER SCHEDULING INFORMATION
- Students MUST have completed application for Northeast State a week before scheduled test.
- Students with ACT or SAT scores must submit scores to Northeast State a week before scheduled test. (Students in the Northeast State Bridge/SAILS Math course will not take the ACCUPLACER® Elementary Algebra test).
- Go online to schedule a test date:
- Click “Schedule Now”
- Choose Science Hill HS Placement Test
- Thursday, March 30 or April 19 (Students may test on other dates (Johnson City – Accuplacer or Blountville – Accuplacer anytime throughout the spring.)
- 3:00 p.m.
- Enter all information as requested. Valid email required.
- Day of test:
- Bring a photo ID and $10.00 to pay the testing fee.
- Parking is available in the Buffalo Street Parking Garage. The college is on the first floor and may be accessed via the elevator or stairs.
- Stop at the front desk and ask for the Cashier to pay the $10.00 testing fee.
- Bring receipt to the Testing Center in room J1011. (Around the corner from the Admissions front desk, and behind the Campus Police office.)
- For questions, email testing@NortheastState.edu or call 423.354-2587
Any SHHS student that plans on attending the prom, but cannot afford a tux or dress should see their counselor for information on various programs that may be able to provide some assistance.
The College of Engineering at UT-Knoxville will be hosting a variety of summer programs for rising 9th-12th graders during the summer of 2017. Visit http://www.engr.utk.edu/diversity/pre-college/ for more information and details. A flyer with more information is also on the counseling announcement board.
Any current SHHS junior that would like to be considered as a Wofford College Scholar should see their counselor immediately. Qualified candidates are eligible to compete for scholarships ranging from $3000 a year to a full scholarship. Candidates must rank in the top 10% of your class and have a score of 28 on the ACT or PLAN test, and demonstrate qualities of character and leadership. Candidates will also be required to apply as either EARLY ACTION or EARLY DECISION to Wofford. Deadline is June 16, 2017.
If you are a female student interested in Engineering, you should consider attending Women engineering Day at UT-Knoxville on April 22, 2017. More information on the conference can be found on the counselor information board.
Students: If you are interested in attending summer camp as a counselor for kids that have lost a family member, please see your counselor for more information on Camp Caterpillar.
Virginia Tech will be hosting “A Day in the life of a Physics Major” on various days in October, November, and April. At this event, you will learn about the application process, sit in on physics classes and labs, meet department chairs, and have lunch with current students. Register at: http://www.phys.vt.edu/students/day-in-physics-student.shtml
Students meeting the academic, attendance, and community service hour requirements can be recognized as a TN Scholar at Senior Awards Day. Information on the TN Scholar program can be found at: www.tennesseescholars.org and you can pick up applications from your counselor. Applications are due Feb 28.
All students that plan on participating in college athletics once they graduate should visit the NCAA website for info on academic changes that will be in place once you graduate.
The SHHS Counseling Department has created a Remind account which will send reminders of important deadlines, events, scholarships, etc to any SHHS student or parent that wishes to sign up. This is a one way messaging system and you can unsubscribe at any time. You can choose to receive our reminders via email or text. It is a free service and no one at SHHS will ever see your phone number or email address. To sign up, please choose from ONE of the options below:
CLASS OF 2017, choose one of the following:
- Text the message @gotoppers to 81010
- Send a blank email to: email@example.com
- Or visit the website: https://www.remind.com/join/gotoppers
CLASS OF 2018, choose one of the following:
- Text the message: @topper2018 to 81010
- Or visit the website: https://www.remind.com/join/topper2018
- Send a blank email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
CLASS OF 2019, choose one of the following:
- Text the message: @topper2019 to 81010
- or visit the website: https://www.remind.com/join/topper2019
- Send a blank email to email@example.com
CLASS OF 2020, choose one of the following:
- Text the message: @topper2020 to the number 81010
- Send a blank email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit the following website: remind.com/join/topper2020